In this post, Loren McDonald makes the point that even though transactional messages are a golden opportunity to engage with customers (to introduce or extend the email relationship with customers or subscribers, to anticipate and answer questions or to cross-sell or up-sell products or services), many marketers don't take advantage of this easy and obvious benefit.
He offers some best practices for your transactional emails:
- Move responsibility for transactional emails into the marketing department.
- Set up your transactional message stream on a separate IP address.
- Redesign the inbox presence.
- Position the transactional message content front and center in the message body. Use HTML design elements to create an attractive and organized message.
- Add personality that supports your brand or company image, expresses your thanks for that they're customers and invites them to engage further.
- Use the transactional message to initiate or expand the customer relationship.