Jeanne Jennings says that there are 10 steps you need to take to develop an effective email strategy:
1. Identify qualitative goals.
2. Analyze the current situation.
3. Complete a competitive analysis.
4. Define the target audience.
5. Determine which types of email meet your needs.
6. Develop a content strategy and a frequency and send schedule.
7. Design the email template.
8. Create quantitative goals.
9. Compile budget and ROI (define) projections.
10. Evaluate results and tweak the strategy accordingly.