The UK DMA Email Marketing Council has updated its Best Practice Guidelines to continue to raise standards within the industry.
The Guidelines aim to stimulate the development of email as an effective marketing channel while reinforcing the key legislative issues that marketers should be aware of when using the medium. They also provide practical advice on how clients can maximise their return and combat the prevalence of spam.
The guidelines are all embracing, covering everything from the initial collection and managing of data through to managing response and measuring campaign effectiveness. They cover every facet of the discipline, including:
- Advice on how to get the best out of the email channel
- Soft Opt-in and the difference between B2C and B2B
- How and why data should be kept clean
- Pitfalls and considerations when renting email lists
- Communicate with existing customers more cost effectively via email
- How to get the right message to the right person at the right time
- How to choose the right subject line
- How often should an email be sent
- How to compare email with other media