Survey Reveals Consumers More Receptive to Marketing Messages Through Email Than Text or Social Networking Sites
ExactTarget announced the results of their 2008 Channel Preference Survey at the Email Insider Summit and in a new whitepaper, How Consumer Preferences Impact One-to-One Marketing Success. The whitepaper addresses the impact of consumer communication preferences on marketing success and highlights the challenges marketers face in today’s world of multi-channel, one-to-one communications.
“We asked over 1500 users detailed questions about how they prefer to receive marketing information,” said Tim Kopp chief marketing officer for ExactTarget. “The results outlined in the whitepaper allow marketers to quickly discern which channels will best serve their one-to-one marketing needs with the highest return on investment.”
The core component of the whitepaper is ExactTarget’s 2008 Channel Preference Survey, which surveyed U.S. internet and cell phone users over the age of 15 about how they prefer to receive both personal and marketing messages.
“There is a clear trend within younger demographics toward communication via text messaging and social networks; however, without reliable research on consumer preferences for guidance, marketers have been forced to throw darts in the dark—hoping to hit the perfect channel and message bulls-eye,” said Morgan Stewart, ExactTarget’s director of research and strategy. “It’s time to start paying attention to individual subscriber preferences and communicate with each individual on his or her own terms.”
Key findings of ExactTarget’s 2008 Channel Preference Survey include:
- Preferred personal communication channel is not synonymous with preferred marketing channel.
- 65% of those surveyed have made a purchase as a result of a marketing message received through email (the highest rate among all digital channels studied).
- Email was deemed the most acceptable digital channel by which to receive marketing messages.
- 95% of respondents have granted a company permission to communicate with them via email.
- Only 9% of regular text messaging users prefer SMS marketing messages to email marketing messages.
Along with analyzing the results of ExactTarget’s 2008 Channel Preference Survey, the whitepaper offers many valuable marketing insights including:
- How marketers can better allot valuable marketing resources.
- Long-term one-to-one marketing success depends on marketers’ ability to listen over time, effectively capture preferences, individualize communications and proactively adapt to the needs of subscribers.
- Greater success will come to marketers who give their subscribers complete control over the means and manner of marketing message delivery.
Click here to download a copy of the whitepaper