To make email marketing look sexy to the C-suite, Loren McDonald provides these 8 tips:
1. Never talk opens and clicks with other departments or the management suite. They don't or shouldn't care.
2. Talk loudly about revenues and cost savings.
3. Talk up the percentage of total company revenue that comes from email (assuming it's good). If you don't know, figure it out.
4. Don't talk about deliverability and rendering problems.
5. Remind executives that an email address is the core of most social and mobile relationships.
6. Show how a tiny percentage of email volume generates a massive amount of your email revenue via automated emails. (Hint to the C-Suite: Adding automation is like printing money.)
7. Cite strategic metrics that will wow executives, such as revenue per email, email revenue per worker hour, call center deferral rate, etc.
8. Document and communicate email revenue opportunities. As I write this, a client just emailed me to point out several missed opportunities she noticed when purchasing from another retailer, which could add up to millions of lost dollars.