Designing for Mobile Email
Sep 12, 2011
Neil Berman lists these 8 Steps To Good Mobile Email Design in his recent Email Insider column:
- Send your emails in MIME Multipart Format so they are readable on mobile devices that can display only the text version of your email.
- Keep subject lines to 15 or fewer characters or front-load it so your key message is in the first 15 characters.
- Make the most of pre-header text. iPhones allow about 140 characters in vertical view, so keep the text short and persuasive.
- For the best display on both mobile devices and the desktop, code your emails between 480 and 600 pixels.
- Keep the layout simple and stack information in one column.
- Take it easy on the images.
- Code all links and buttons with a target area of at least 44 x 44 pixels.
- Test your design regularly on various devices to make sure your emails continue to render as you intended.
Need help optimizing your email marketing results? Get in touch!